Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Buick Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Buick Diagnostics

My fuel guage is erractic. my mechaNIC WANT TO REPLAce the

Customer Question

my fuel guage is erractic . my mechaNIC WANT TO REPLAce the fuel pump is that necessary
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: the oRIGINAl
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2003 buick century 157000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it at a chevorlet dealership
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: they are dropping the gas tank itold them what is happening with the fuel guaGE . THEY GAVE CAR A DIASNOTIC TEST
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

It's not necessary to replace the entire fuel pump assembly. The problem here will be the Fuel Level Sensor. This sensor is mounted to the side of the fuel pump assembly, located inside the fuel tank. So, while not necessary to "replace" the fuel pump, it will need to be removed from the fuel tank and then the level sensor removed/replaced from the body of the fuel pump assembly. The Level Sensor sells for around $125 and the Labor will be roughly 1.5 hours. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please do the right thing and rate or accept!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

If there are any other questions you had on this issue, or there is something else I can provide to better answer your question, please feel free to reply and ask! If you have no further questions, please use the rating stars to rate our Q&A session.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.