Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

I have an 87' Buick Grand national-all stock. The car starts

Customer Question

I have an 87' Buick Grand national-all stock. The car starts runs a little and then stalls. will not go above idle, even a little.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: Ck engine light lis not on. un-drivable
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 1987 grand National
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the Idle air valve, Throttle position sensor, adjusted the Cam sensor, replaced the MAF (used), Removed and cleaned the injectors, replaced the fuel pump and cleaned the tank, replace the fuel filter and air filter, plugs (gapped to .035") sparkl plug wires, sveral used ecm's
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It did drive with fair drivability no not at all
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Car had sat for 8 years. Fuel lines had to be cleaned out because of all the junk and injectors cleaned.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

If you install your fuel pressure gauge to the fuel system what is the fuel pressure reading when the engine stalls out?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Are you able to keep the engine running if you give it some fuel when placing it in gear?

Can you rev the engine in Park?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It will run and rev in park but stumbles badly. Also fuel pressure was at 32psi when it died, not 37
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

The fuel pressure looks fine but it sure sounds like you starving for fuel or the engine can not breath, are you sure the exhaust system is clear?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
New exhaust and fuel pressure actually climbs when it dies (a little crime 28-32 psi)
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Well this sure sound like your loosing fuel pressure but with everything you have replaced I am out of ideas. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps another has something different to offer.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 2 months ago.

Hello, have you checked the fuel presure regulator?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That also was replaced with new
Expert:  camerontech replied 2 months ago.

hi there,

how were the fuel injectors cleaned? did you see the spray patern out of them?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We bench cleaned them with brake clean. They looked good.

it doesnt take much to plug up an injector.

if you have a bunch of dirt in the lines and you had to flush out the lines, than bench cleaning with brake clean will not clean them properly.

injectors sitting around for 8 years with raw old fuel will ruin them and have low flow.

right now im pointing to your injectors as being the problem

flow testing them while energizing them is the only way to check the flow.

i honestly dont think brake clean will clean them. they have to be sent away for that.

i would pull the entire fuel rail assembly off, disable the spark and crank the engine and see if your spray pattern is good

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They were energized and the spray pattern did improve (some of them dramatically) after running brake clean through them. I agree we were not scientific in our approach but the mechanic who helped had done it this way numerous times with success. the car did run and drive but lacked power before we cleaned the injectors. And cleaning the injectors (as filthy as they were) did not improve drive-ability. I cant imagine we made the drive-ability worse by cleaning them. It is possible that not all of the gunk was removed from the fuel line (from the filter to the fuel rail) and has gotten back into the injectors. Simple enough to find out.

i have had lots of cars that sit for a long time. and it always seems to be the injectors. injectors plug and fail so easily, especially on older gms. i would really see if you can have them flow tested

hi there,
how did your repair go?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The injectors seem to spray fine. The did run and drive even before we cleaned the injectors by hand. The car will not go past idle and stalls a minute after being started. Somewhere a sensor is going nuts is my only conclusion because the car did run and drive and that was with dirty injectors and the injectors (although not factory-perfect) are cleaner than before and the same problem exists. Its not the injectors.

ok no problem, thanks for the info. ill opt out for anither tech to jump in

Customer: replied 2 months ago.