Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Buick Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Buick Diagnostics
18617752

My 2010 enclave is leaking coolant, not sure how old the

Customer Question

Hi...my 2010 enclave is leaking coolant
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: not sure how old the hoses are. its got about 90k miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i would love to fix it myself. havent tried much. just took a look at the radiator cap
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: trying to troubleshoot correctly to find the actual problem
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Can you give me the general area of the leak? Front? Passenger's side?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yeah, sure....its front passenger side. it seems like its coming from near the coolant reservoir
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yesterday i saw coolant leak out in a pretty big puddle. and it looked like it was mixed with water
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Ok. If it's in the area of the reservoir, this sounds like it may be a crack in the reservoir itself. It's easy enough to remove and check. There are 2 mounting screws holding it in place. Then it "pops" up from the base. If the reservoir checks ok, then the next step is to pressurize the system and the cap and try to pinpoint the root of the leak. You can rent a pressure-tester tool from most local big chain parts stores. When testing the cap, it should hold pressure for a minimum of 10 seconds. If the cap is good, pressurize the system. If the gauge drops, this is a leak. With the system under pressure, the leak should be more noticeable.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the reservoir is full. should have mentioned that in the beginning. sorry...little worried and slipped my mind. i just want to rule out that its the water pump.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

If it were the water pump, it'd be leaking down the passenger's side of the engine and puddling roughly in the area behind the passenger's front tire. If the reservoir is staying full, then the only other option in the front/passenger's side would be the radiator or a radiator hose. If this is the case, I'd strongly recommend the pressure test to ultimately confirm first, before replacement.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

If there were any other questions you had on this, or any procedures that I can provide, please feel free to reply and ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

..