Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

We just put a new fuel pump on our car and its still doing

Customer Question

We just put a new fuel pump on our car and its still doing what is was before. When I drive the car when it gets up to temp and then I get back home and it won't start. Or I drive my car and it powers down and dies. We have checked both the fuel and vaccum pressure and both were fine. Plus after the car cools back down it will start and run rough as long as you keep stepping on the gas and the minute you let up it dies again
Category: Buick
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 8 months ago.

Welcome,

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

Thanks for the detailed info!

When its in a no-start condition, have you tried spraying some carb cleaner into the air intake hose? Spraying it towards the engine and see if it starts for a second or two?

This will at least confirm that it is a fuel issue.

Larry

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No we have not done that. I will have to get back to this later. Everyone working on it are frustrated and called it a day but I will be back tomorrow. We also put it on a machine forvcodes and it way its misfiring if that helps. At least maybe I can come up with some ideas to help them tomorrow.

Thanks,

That test will tell us if it is a fuel or a spark issue. it will be one or the other.

Being that you have replaced the fuel pump we can pretty much assume its ok.

If it doesnt react to the carb cleaner, then its an ignition issue because it isnt getting spark to the plugs.

There are a few different parts that can cause this but at least you can narrow it down.

Larry

If it is missing spark to the plugs, the most common reason for that is the ignition control module.

LJ