Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Buick Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Buick Diagnostics

My gear is stuck in neutral. I try to switch gears. The gear

Customer Question

My gear is stuck in neutral. I try to switch gears. The gear shift just move freely up and down. And light still show its in neutral. So it want move out of neutral and change gears
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Gear indicator lights
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2001 buick century
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I tried cutting off car and turning back on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

If the gear shifter is loose, it sounds like the problem is going to lie in the shifter cable or the linkages/connections at either the transmission or the shifter itself. You'll need to inspect the shifter cable-to-transmission linkage (image location view here: ). And the shfiter-to-shift cable connection also (image location view here: If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

If you need the procedure to remove the trim to access the shifter-to-cable linkage, please feel free to reply and ask. I can provide this to you, if needed.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!