Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

The "AWD is disabled" and "ABS" light come on periodically.

Customer Question

The "AWD is disabled" and "ABS" light come on periodically. They clear if I shut down and restart. Occasionally I can feel the pulsating of the ABS on the pedal.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Just the ABS. The brakes are all relatively new
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2004 Rendevouz
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd like to, but this may be out of my league. I usually do my own work
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Buick
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 months ago.

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

What you are going to need to do first is have it scanned for codes in the ABS system. This type of scan tool is different than one used for engine codes. You might find a parts store that will be able to do this, i know that all of them can do it for the engine codes.

Most likely it is a faulty front ABS wheel speed sensor but you wont know which side because there is one on each side and the code will tell which side is at fault.

If you have more questions just reply.

Any further questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've just purchased a code reader that I'm waiting to arrive in a day or 2. This car is constantly throwing codes so it's cheaper than bringing it somewhere and paying for it. I will let you know what I find. Thanks!

VERY smart move my friend!

Just make sure it can read ABS codes like i mentioned because just the regular engine code reader doesnt have that capability.

Once you get it you should clear all codes and drive it and after the light comes on grab the first code that sets.