Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.

Airbag and abs lights are on, Just abs and airbag, 96, 96,

Customer Question

Airbag and abs lights are on
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Just abs and airbag
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 96
JA: What year is your Buick?
Customer: 96
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not hing also not much power when im in gear
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: In drive not much power
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

These lights coming on indicate a fault code is set in the air bag computer and a fault code set in the anti lock brake computer.One or more components of the air bag and anti lock brake system are at fault and caused the codes to set.The anti lock brake code can cause a loss of power when in gear all depending on what code is set.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool to read all computers in your model.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.Most shops or a dealer can read these codes for a fee as well as diagnose the fault.In some cases you can get a local parts store like Auto Zone to read them at no cost to you but usually cannot do the diagnosis on the codes.If you can get the codes read out and post the code info here let me know as this will help.

There are several components in the air bag and anti lock brake system that will cause codes to set so the fault codes do need read out/checked to pinpoint which component is the cause here.I have seen wheel speed sensor issues as well as anti lock brake hydraulic issues or master cylinder issues that can cause the anti lock brake light and loss of power.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My front brakes are being change will that help they were really bad
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Usually it is not the front brake pads or rotors at fault that would cause this here.This would be a different component at fault needing repaired or replaced for this issue.You will need to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your model to see what codes are set and those codes diagnosed and repaired.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated

Thanks Pete