AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner

2009buickenclavecxl; I have problems with it slow cranking.

Customer Question

2009buickenclavecxl; I have problems with it slow cranking. Also, on three occasions it has stalled. the dash display shows Engine Power Reduced. It will eventually crank (after 15 to 30 minutes). I scanned it and the code, p0089, this in the book shows Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance. The second time it stalled it showed codeP191, the book shows Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor CKT Range/performance. I obviously have a fuel pressure problem, but where do I start. I'm not sure where these parts are and which one I should replace .
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: No, I understand the fuel rail pressure sensor is under the intake
JA: What is the model of your '09 Buick?
Customer: Enclave CXL 3.6 engine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I took a fuel pressure reading and it was 43 psi. It recently had the cats replaced and a new fuel pump
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Poor gas mileage and black soot around chrome exhaust tips.
Category: Buick
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Both those codes point to a fuel rail pressure sensor issue. The fuel rail pressure sensor is located under the intake manifold

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is this a one time total charge, or is it in addition to the $5 & $17 charge?

im not sure what your referring to. If you have been sent a phone call offer or something like that, it was sent by the system and not by myself.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I received a offer to switch to a live phone call for $26. It says we can talk live on the phone to make it easier to get all the help I need and ask follow-up questions.

Yeah, those offers are automatically sent out. It's in addition to the original amount. If you would like, I can send you the procedure to remove the intake manifold so you can access that sensor if your looking to replace it yourself.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please do. Also, I'm having a shutter problem in my transmission. When climbing inclines I have a terrible shutter prior to the downshift. This occurred under warranty and they replaced the torque converter. Is there anything to try other than replacing the converter?

I take it the torque converter didn't solve the shuddering issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it resolved it at that time. Now, 75,000 miles later I have the same problem again. I've been told and have read on the internet that the torque converter on the 2008 & 2009 enclave's have been a terrible ongoing problem.

OK. The torque converter clutch is the most common cause of transmission shudder, so I was surprised when I though that it didn't resolve the problem. I believe that, unfortunately, your again in need of a torque converter.

But, get a transmission flush first and see if that helps. It just might.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will the procedure on removing the intake and installing the sensor come to my e-mail

I sent it already. They are the blue links above in all caps. intake manifold and sensor.

Let me know if you don't see them and I'll make you new links.

Did the links work for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where is the fuel pressure regulator on my 2009 Enclave CXL?

It is located inside the fuel tank as part of the fuel pump assembly.

Do you still need help?