Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Buick mechanic why does the belt that goes around 3 pulleys,

Customer Question

buick mechanic why does the belt that goes around 3 pulleys, fan, alternator and air conditioner keep fraying and breaking its been replaced twice in two weeks. 2000 Buick century
Category: Buick
Expert:  nathan thompson replied 8 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

More than likely you have a pulley that is seized or starting to seize. Does the belt appear to have been heated to the point of melting ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
to some degree it tore up a brand new belt

The first thing to would be remove the belt and check all of the pulleys by hand and see if any of them are hard to spin or wobbly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no

Have you had a chance to look at the belt while the engine is running?

Is there any way you can attach a few pictures of the pulleys and engine?

Expert:  Jesse Southard replied 8 months ago.

Hi I am Jesse. I'll try and help you. I am attaching a picture of belt routing so we both are looking at the same thing. If belt is fraying as quickly as you say, there can only be a few issues. I would check harmonic balncer to see if it is separating, if it is it will cause belt to ride on outside edge of other pulleys and fray and break. I would also check the tensioner to make sure it is putting enough tension on belt. the only other issue might be that the a/c compressor is locking up. it would allow belt to run normally until a/c or defrost selected then when clutch activated make the belt pull hard or if bad enough lock and the belt only slide around compressor pulley.