Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Buick Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Buick Diagnostics
18617752

2004 Buick LeSabre. 118k car stalled as I was driving and

Customer Question

2004 Buick LeSabre. 118k car stalled as I was driving and will not restart. Engine cranks but will not turn over. So far, fuel pump was tested and that's ok. Spark plug was tested, no spark. Is there a common problem of sort? Bad coil?
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: sensor code only shows bad NOC sensor (that was replaced last year). No spark at all. (Spark plug was tested through another vehicle and properly grounded.)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Service engine light is on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, because its not a simple problem. I don't know anything else to share
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you today. Give me a minute to load in your vehicle and gather some info and images. Be right back...

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

If you are not getting spark, check the coils to make sure they are sending spark. While cranking the engine, lift the plug wire off the coils and see if spark is jumping. If none of the coils have spark, this is a case of a faulty Ignition Control Module (ICM). It's the flat, metal item that the 3 coils sit atop (for an image location view, click here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvltnj7nycd9di6/buick-icm.jpg?dl=0). Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the ICM will solve the problem. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

If you have any other questions on this issue, or you would like the repair manual procedure to replace the ICM, please feel free to ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did replacing the ICM solve the problem? Were there any other questions you had? Any other info I can provide like maybe a wiring diagram? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!