sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Cigarette stops working, 2005, I've tried to see if the wire

Customer Question

Cigarette stops working
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried to see if the wire came loose and i have tried to check rhe fuse box. But i am not sure which one
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: I have located the fuse box but don't know how to check whichich fuse
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It just suddenly stopped working
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be wiring or a connection issue but would most likely be the lighter socket itself or the element, if the lighter element isn't heating. If you're just using it as a power outlet then most likely the socket is the issue.

If you don't see any connection issues at the fuse and no visible wiring or connection issues at the socket then what you'll want to do is use a test light to check for power and ground coming to the outlet while it isn't working. If there is power and ground to the connector at the back of the socket when it does not work then the socket will need to be replaced.