Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2005 Buick rendezvous that won't start. Right now I

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Buick rendezvous that won't start. Right now I stopped to get gas turned off car and did not lock it. Now after I refueled it wont even try to crank. This morning something similar happened car was running then stopped at McDonald's turned off car and locked with key fob unlocked and wouldnt start. After I locked and unlocked multiple times with Fob it started.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Does everything light up? Any security lights on or flashing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Everything lights up no security flashing
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Your starter solenoid could be bad. You could have a bad connection on the starter wire to the battery. A poor ground from the starter. Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll check those now
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All cables seem secure...
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Sometimes you can "tap" the starter and it will start working.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now I see a red flashing light on stereo
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It isn't even trying to crank at this point
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

how is the battery?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Right now I have no way if testing it. The radio works the windows roll up and down
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Sounds like it is not recognizing the key, you may have a problem with the immobilizer system.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Passkey III Reset procedure.

Make sure the battery if fully charged because this procedure may take up to 30 minutes and you cannot start the vehicle during this time. If you’re adding a new key to the system, you MUST have all the older keys with you. All previously learned keys will be erased from the system as soon as you program the first key. After the first key has been relearned, immediately insert the next key to be programmed within 10 seconds.

1. Insert the master key with the black head into the ignition lock cylinder

2. Turn the key to ON but do not start the engine. The SECURITY light will turn on and stay on.

3. Wait 10 minutes or until the SECURITY light to turn off.

4. Turn the key to OFF for 5 seconds.

5. Turn the key to ON but do not start the engine. The SECURITY light will turn on and stay on.

6. Wait 10 minutes or until the SECURITY light to turn off.

7. Turn the key to OFF for 5 seconds.

8. Turn the key to ON but do not start the engine. The SECURITY light will turn on and stay on.

9. Wait 10 minutes or until the SECURITY light to turn off.

10. Turn the key to OFF. The key transponder will be learned on the next start cycle.

11. Start the vehicle. If it starts and runs normally, the relearn is complete. If you need to program additional keys,

12. Turn the key to OFF.

13. Insert the next key. Turn it to ON within 10 seconds of removing the previously used key.

14. Wait for the SECURITY light to turn off. That may happen quickly. You may not even notice it.

15. Repeat steps 12 through 14 for all additional keys.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I only have 1 key how do I know if it is the master key
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Use the key that you have.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't see the security light turn on... Car kept chiming for sever mins the best stopped
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Then not best
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe the battery completely died
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Try jump starting it, if you can.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try that as soon as as I'm able
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

ok sounds good.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried jumping it and it wouldn't even try to turn over. Just all lights came on. I had to leave it in WV and will have to have it towed tomorrow.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Best to have it towed to a shop, its going to need to be scanned for codes in the anti theft system.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means it’s no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. Please use the 5 star rating system at the top of the screen, it would be appreciated. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars, please let me know why and what I can do to help you more. I do not get compensated for my time unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan