Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

There is no stopping point key on my 1997 Buick Park Avenue.

Customer Question

There is no stopping point for my key on my 1997 Buick Park Avenue. The key turns from "start engine" through "stop engine" to end of key range (radio).
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: The car is now in "dead battery". The car does have a "wheel lock" feature. This is not a problem just for today: there is never a place that the key will stop until there is no more range for it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My brother, God bless his soul, says that I just have to use it enough to be able to feel the "stop position" :) Yep, that works for him... I was planning to take it to a mechanic (or a mechanic's assistant) to have the "stop" place marked, if that is even possible.(?)
JA: Huh?
Customer: LOL
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Hi, sorry about the "mechanic's assistant" automated response person, they are confusing sometimes,

To clarify, the key turns backward too far in the tumbler so it leaves the radio on?

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to check whether you still need help with this issue.

Please let me know if you do.