Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech

I have a 93 buick century with 3300. We are making a circle

Customer Question

i have a 93 buick century with 3300. We are making a circle track car out of it. we put a fuel cell inside and put in an aftermarket fuel pump and filter. also moved battery inside of car. after doing this, the car started up just fine and ran strong. was letting it idle and it died. now it won't start unless you spray starting fluid into breather. troubleshooting shows the fuel pump is working, and we have spark. i don't believe the injectors are firing. i can't hear them using the trusty screwdriver/listening method. also, despite numerous attempts to start the engine, the plugs are dry when i pull them out. i'd expect them to be flooded if we were getting fuel to the cylinders.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: car turns over great. will run as long as you spray starting fluid into breather.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. i think we can fix it ourselves. it is just a matter of diagnosing the problem correctly. i've not worked on very many fuel injected vehicles. we know we have fuel to the injector rail and all the way back to the fuel cell. we know we have spark at the plugs. we know mechanically it should run. it seems to come down to the injectors and why they are not firing, or at least i can't hear them when we crank the engine over. Or the fuel pressure regulator has failed and is only bypassing fuel to the cell and nothing to the injectors.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: all the fuses within the glove box area are good. we've checked them twice. and the two 5 amps under the steering column are good. that is about all i can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

key on engine off what is the fuel pressure at the fuel rail test port ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not at all sure and won't have access to it until tomorrow. what should it be?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

should be over 41

if it is then you need to get a test light and we need to check for an injector pulse next

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer