rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Car wont start on first key turn but does on second, Park

Customer Question

Car wont start on first key turn but does on second
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park neutral and yes i have a wheel lock
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2004 cx
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Rendezvous
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Changed crank sensor and have good fuel pressure and spark
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though,Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

This can be caused by the fuel pump losing it's prime to the fuel rail, so when you try the second time the rail is now charged with fuel. This is caused by a leaky check valve on the pump or leaky fuel injectors.

thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If i let the fuel pump prime ie. Turn the key forward to prime the line and try to start there is no difference like i said my mechanic tested and found acceptable pressure in the fuel line could there be a faulty icm?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

It's not that the pressure is low, it's that there is not enough fuel in the rail on that first turn of the key. I've seen this many times and it is hard to find unless it's done on a cold engine and on the first turn of the key.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Ron hopefully this new sending unit is the answer to my problem if not ill replace my injectors
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome, thank you too, but you can easily test the injectors with a leak down tester instead of replacing them, just to be sure.

Thanks again, Ron