Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 1996 buick skylark that starts every time but dies

Customer Question

I have a 1996 buick skylark that starts every time but dies immediately. I have tried an extended crank meaning i hod the key in crank position it starts/ dies/ cranks for about three or for turns then start and i then let off the key and it will continue to run. I can do this time after time and it will repeat as long as i dont let off the key when it starts and dies the first time. it is not losing spark it is losing injector pulse. the fuel pump continues to run until the engine stops turning. Kinda confused i thought it was pass-lock until i realized it will run all day if i crank all the way through the start and die p[process.
Category: Buick
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 5 months ago.

Sounds like a shorted ignition switch has this been checked? Also is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how is an ignition switch going to cause intermittent injector pulse?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have checked and it continues to have spark and the fuel pump will run until the engine stops turning, but the injector pulse is what is starting stopping and starting again on an extended crank. you can do 100 start and dies, but every time you continue to crank pass the start and die three turns later it starts perfect and runs all day.