Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech

I have a 94 Regal Gran Sport 3.8L. last two years, it has

Customer Question

I have a 94 Regal Gran Sport 3.8L. For the last two years, it has had an ongoing issue where it will out of the blue crank but not start. Sometimes after a few minutes of trying, it will fire. Other times, it has to sit for hours and then it will miraculously start again. I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, coil packs, plug wires, plugs ignition control module, MAF sensor and fuel pressure regulator. I've talked to almost a dozen mechanics and none have been able to determine the problem for me. While the issue sounds like a crank sensor problem, all have been skeptical of that being the cause of the problem The last guy I talked to said the 94's had issues with the ECM and recommended I go to the parts store and get one to replace the existing ECM that is in the engine compartment and looks pretty rugged from years of being in there. I'm wondering if you know if this is a good chance of being the source of the problem and, if it is, is there a relearn procedure once the PROM has been changed to the replacement unit? Or do I just leave the battery disconnected for an additional 15 minutes after the new PCM has been installed?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you had the fuel pressure tested recently?
Customer: 176,000. Haven't had the fuel pressure tested recently, no.
JA: What year is your Regal?
Customer: 1994
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, ICM, plugs, wires, MAP sensor and fuel pressure regulator
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it generally does the whole crank but not fire after driving short trips, which is why every mechanic I've talked to so far does not think it is the crank position sensor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark at the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors and proper fuel pressure. Before you replace any more parts can you check each one of these and see if you can determine which one you are lacking when it will not start and post back with this and we can work from there to help you determine the cause.