Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.

Trying to bypass the vats security because i lost my key i

Customer Question

trying to bypass the vats security because i lost my key i know the 15 different vats codes just dont know which one thought i could reference the 91 buick park ave blank key to the vats and make the correct resistor value do u know how to find the correct blank key code for my 91 buick park ave
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 91 buick park ave
JA: What year is your buick?
Customer: 1991
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i have gotten to the two white wires in the orange wire and put together some resitors to the value i thought iut was but i was wrong and instead of going through all 15 vats codes i was hoping i could just find the correct blank key and compare to vats codes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: you aaked me what uive done so far
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Test with a multi meter the resistance across one side of the chip in the key with one lead and the other lead from the meter to the other side of the chip.This is the resistance value you need to bypass this security system.You test resistance/ohms with the multi meter.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete