Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My DIC lights are intermittently blank, the rest of the

Customer Question

My DIC lights are intermittently blank, the rest of the lights warning lights on the instrument panel work as does the speedometer and tach. If I push on the instrument panel they will come on but go off again. I thing there is bad connection on the circuit board and have had it look at twice but everytime I take it in the lights are on. The instrument panel/Speedometer tech has done some random re-soldering but the problem still exists. Have you seen this before?
JA: How old is your battery? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Battery has been replaced, I don't think there are bulbs just an LED strip
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2008 Enclave
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've had the instrument panel out several times, all the wires and connectors seem sound, and as I mentioned I took it to a speedometer repair shop and he cant isolate the problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem that was corrected without replacing the whole instrument panel.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Sometimes the tachometer is also effected, it will either not move or is registering higher RPMs than the engine is running. Everything else is fine, no warning lights or engine codes.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  TIM MOHR replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have seen this on numerous Enclaves, and its always been in the printed circuit boards, we dont repair the boards, we replace them, we use a company called southern electronics to do these, we also have all the steppers motors replaced at the same time, as they are also known for going out, hve you checked into this yet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do I send my instrument cluster to Southern Electronics to have the board replaced or do I order a new board and replace it myself? About how much does the replacement board cost? I've not done anything with the steppers motors but have now seen a few videos on replacing them, the process looks like something I could do. Does Southern Electronics sell these too?
Thanks,
Barry