Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

A few weeks ago my check engine light came on. I discovered

Customer Question

A few weeks ago my check engine light came on. I discovered the gas cap was loose and tightened it. Had mechanic take off light. It came back on a few days ago. Discovered gas cap loose again and replaced it with a new gas cap. If this was the issue, when will the check engine light go off? (2007 Buick Lacrosse)
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Stays on solid. No noticeable performance problems.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just replaced the gas cap 3 days ago and have driven it 3 times since.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, if the gas cap was the issue it will take 50 key cycles and drive cycles (from cold to hot engine) with no codes for the light to reset, it will be quicker to run to autozone and get the codes read and also have them erase them. then we can double check the code to see if it was relating to the gas cap or not. hope this helps, Lou P.