john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech

I have a 2014 Buick Lacrosse. The stability check light and

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Buick Lacrosse. The stability check light and engine check light came on and I received a message the engine's power would be diminished for safety reasons I presume. After sitting overnight I went out and the check engine light is still on. What is wrong and how expensive is the repairs? Or is it under the 100,000 mile warranty?
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: It stays on. I was afraid to drive it today when the engine light was still on so I'm not sure about the performance.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not really. I'd like someone who knows what they are doing to fix it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 4 months ago.

do you have a scan tool or code reader?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I do not.

we would need to scan the system to determine if its a warranty very likely is..The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. Thank you.

hope you can rate my service 5 star

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you