Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

My Buick Rainier 2004 is stuck in Park....How can I unlock

Customer Question

My Buick Rainier 2004 is stuck in Park....How can I unlock the gear. It was just working about 20 mins ago. Thanks
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: Checking....
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am parked in a 20min parking spot and need to move my car
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The service all wheel drive light came on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I dont see a manual procedure myself on releasing the shifter when it is stuck like this here.This is a model that doesnt have a manual release.What fails and causes this issue is the shifter release electrical solenoid on the shifter itself.This can be replaced separate of the shifter now as before you had to replace the entire shifter.

It is located on the side of the shifter assembly.

In some cases if you can get the shifter trim off or up you can look down inside the shifter and see an electrical solenoid (the one that usually needs replaced) and try and actuate it with a screw driver or similar.It should be to the left or right of the shifter shaft shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t03825arph4zcfk/sh-06-24.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete