Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

I was looking at the replacement of the transmission

Customer Question

hi pearl. i was looking at the replacement of the transmission pressure control solenoid, but the pic's won't come up. i have a 2000 buick lesabre with 175,000 miles, fluid never changed and i'm thinking of replacing valve, filter, fluid, but I can't find out where the solenoid valve is located.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 175,000 bad mileage
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixing myself. investingating now
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: randomly jerking from 1st to 2nd gear
JA: Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page where you can book your 1:1 with the Buick Mechanic. I'll share everything we've discussed.
Category: Buick
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.

Hello I'll post the diagram below, let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what is this a diagram of
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm asking about the transmission control pressure valve
and how do i change it out?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

new expert here did you still need help ?

Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

did you remove the transmissions side cover yet ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no because I was never told what the picture was he sent me and was never told the step by step to find the solenoid
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

i understand

i am a new expert trying to help

once the transmissions side cover is off the pressure control solenoid is # ***** as seen in the picture

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do you get the transmission side cover off, and where is it please. thank you. where exactly is this located in the engine, as you are in front of the engine?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

the side cover is a 5 hour job to do

the side cover is the drivers side of the transmission itself where the drivers side axle even goes through it

you will need to support the engine and transmission and drop down the sub frame and disconnect the steering shaft off the rack and then lower down the driver side of the transmission to slide the cover out

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Install the engine support fixture.
  3. Remove the air intake duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Intake Duct Replacement in Powertrain Management.
  4. Remove the shift cable and bracket at the transaxle.
  5. Remove the accelerator and cruise control cables from the retainer on the left strut tower.
  6. Unbolt but do not remove the ABS modulator.
  7. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  8. Remove the left front tire and wheel assembly.
  9. Remove the inner splash shield.
  10. Remove the tie rod end from the knuckle assembly. Refer to Tie Rod End Replacement - Outer in Steering and Suspension.
  11. Remove the stabilizer shaft link from the lower control arm. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Steering and Suspension.
  12. Remove the ball joint from the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Ball Joint Replacement in Steering and Suspension.
  13. Remove the drive axle from the transmission and support axle. Refer to Wheel Drive Shafts Replacement.
  14. Remove the pinch bolt from the steering gear intermediate shaft at steering column. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in Steering and Suspension.

Caution: Failure to disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion steering gear stub shaft can result in damage to the steering gear or to the intermediate shaft. This damage may cause loss of steering control, which could result in an accident and possible personal injury.

1. Remove the intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in Steering and Suspension.
  2. Remove the three frame-to-body bolts on the left side.
  3. Loosen but do not remove the bolts on the right side.
  4. Remove the transaxle oil cooler hoses at the case. Refer to Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Hose Replacement.
  5. Lower the vehicle and loosen the engine support fixture adapters until adequate clearance is available at the case side cover to frame rail area.
  6. Raise the vehicle.
  7. Remove the case side cover bolts.
  8. Remove the case side cover (53).