Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Buick Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Buick Diagnostics
18617752

2003 Buick LeSabre. My Wife and Son refilled the gas last

Customer Question

2003 Buick LeSabre. My Wife and Son refilled the gas last week. They did not put the gas cap on completely. The Check engine soon light came on. I filled it with gas yesterday and put the cap back on, letting it click three times. The cap is fine, how do I reset the check engine light?
JA: Have you already scanned the code? How is the battery connection?
Customer: I don't have a scanner, but the battery connection is good, clean and tight. Batter is under the rear seat.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing really except placing the cap back on correctly.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: And I filled it with gas yesterday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

There are a few ways to reset the Check Engine Light. You can remove the "NEG" cable from the battery for a minimum of 5 minutes. Or, most local big-chain parts stores, like AutoZone, will clear the light for FREE (except in California) right in their parking lot. Or, you can simply drive the vehicle and the light will reset itself in roughly 50-75 miles of combined city and highway driving. If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

..