Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

I drive a 2010 Buick Lucerne that was fine until sep 2015

Customer Question

I drive a 2010 Buick Lucerne that was fine until sep 2015 and the problem persists despite ~$2000 spent on it. It involves the fuel pump relay and fuel pump and also the fuse box that contains the fuel pump relay.
Symptom occurs when starting the car. After flicking on the key to start engine, the engine cranks but does not start. If I stop the cranking quickly, the fuel pump relay is burnt out, always on the prong/terminal that feeds power to the fuel pump (terminal labelled 87). Once the fuse box had melted after I tried repeatedly to start the engine. Now I stop cranking quickly and just replace relay. The relays seem to last about 12 starts then burn out and I replace. The fuel pump and fuse box have each been replaced once, the relay several times. I'm thinking that the lead from the fuse box to the fuel pump may be 'crispy' and needs replacing. Help!! this is spooky problem as I could be left stranded anywhere. There is no regularity to occurrence of this problem. CCR
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like you have a short or high resistance/corrosion in the feed wire from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump itself.I have seen this wire corrode or become damaged in the past before causing this issue here needing repaired or the wire replaced.If this wire has not been inspected for any issues this needs to be done and it may need traced from the relay to the pump to locate and repair the issue with it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thought you were right Pete but it turned out to be an interference between the seat clip and the cover of the fuse box that was being pushed toward the back of the car. This pushed on the relay that damaged the connection with the fuse box. I spent 2 hours with the service manager at my dealer and finally got someone thinking...Thanks any way ..put this one in your database for future...I sure will.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Thanks,that is great to hear the fault has been located and resolved.I will keep this in mind here.If there is anything else I can help with here let me know as I strive to achieve an o.k. to excellent rating.

Thanks Pete