rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My tire pressure chimed and lit up saying low/check tire

Customer Question

My tire pressure chimed and lit up saying low/check tire pressure. I checked the tire pressure and it's at 32. The door sticker says it should be 30. I've read tons online.... The tire specs read the same as the factory ones.
JA: Have you checked your tire pressure? Do you have a tire gauge?
Customer: We did. It's at 32
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2003 limited edition
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We are out of town so we put a little more air in. Just to 34.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

You're okay at 32, BUT, you need to have them all checked with a TPMS machine first. If you still have an issue, then it's one of your tire sensors at the valve stem. Any tire store can do this for you.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure if this relates to anything, but my gas gauge doesn't work properly. I've read that is common with these cars. It shows full what I fill it, but as it goes down, when it hits 3/4 full it starts to go up and down and shortly after will stick at that spot so I never know what it really is past that mark. Do I to replace the whole fuel system or just the sensor.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Gas gauge is not related, so we need to stay on the original question. When you have the sensor programmed with the TPMS machine, you will know then if it worked or not and if you need to replace a sensor.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.