rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

We have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous with about 34,000 miles on

Customer Question

We have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous with about 34,000 miles on it. Typically it has been parked in a garage for the past 12-13 years. We drove it yesterday and the Service Vehicle Soon and the Park Lamp Out lights came on, but all parking lamps are functioning. We took it to AutoZone and had them see if any error codes were stored and no codes came up. Any suggestions?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: AutoZone ran the scan and nothing came up. Everything was appearing as normal.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Buick Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We checked all the fuses. Tried using each of our ignition keys. Bought a new battery. Yes, my husband is hoping to fix this himself. He is very vehicle savvy. :)
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything. It has sat in the garage except for church on Sunday all these years. My husband used a maintainer trickle charger on the car since it was sitting 99% of the time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

If the light came on and there are no codes, then the computer is faulty. HOWEVER, seeing that this sat for so long, I would have a mechanic look over the whole car and SCAN the computer with a SCAN tool, NOT a code reader to see for sure what is wrong before buying a new computer.

Thanks, Ron