Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

In traffic stop and go and car warmed up intermittent

Customer Question

in traffic stop and go and car warmed up intermittent transmission hard shifting. Buick Century 2000. thanks
JA: Do you have a manual or an automatic transmission? When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: automatic. Checked a year ago. this has been an intermittent problem for some time but was more aggravated yesterday on my commute home. When I shut off car for a few minutes and then start transmission shifting is smooth as butter.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a friend who is a mechanic. the only thing I have done is change the transmission fluid. is this solenoid assembly inside or outside the transmission? what would you recommend? car has about 160K
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i like the car but don't want to spend a fortune fixing it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

99 % of these are caused by the pressure control solenoid in the valve body sticking causing this problem

the usual fix for this and again this is a VERY common issue for these transmissions is to have a transmission flush performed with a transmission flush machine and turn on and off the solenoid with a scan tool when the flush is being done

if by chance it still will act up after doing that then the transmissions side cover needs to come off and replace the pressure control solenoid and the TCC solenoid will correct this issue as lond as there was no debris in the bottom of the pan when the filter was replaced or the pan dropped for the fluid change that should correct this issue you are having

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer