Master auto tech.
Master auto tech., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  over 20 years repairing both import and domestic automobiles
17920890

I have a 1990 buick skylark 2.5 liter. I am tring to replace

Customer Question

I have a 1990 buick skylark 2.5 liter. I am tring to replace engine ignotion module, but the 4 bolts that go thru the module our loose and i cant get the new part to fit in the bolts. So i tried to take off the backing plate but it wont come off either, i wonder since it has two elcrtical leads on the bottom side the the backing plate that i shouldnt have tried that. Can you tell me what was the correct way to do this. Note it is very difficult because of the location on the back side of the engine to even reach any of this to work on!
Category: Buick
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 9 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

is the replacement exact to the old one???

the crank sensor is under the module itself. it is secured by an o ring and you need to rotate the plate once unbolted to break the o ring free to remove it. considering its age, the oring is most likely very hard.

any way to post a picture of the old and new module>>

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The new part is the same.
Rotate the backing plate which way? Also what about the two electrical leads in the backing plate? How will they be affected is there wires that our long enough to pull away from the side of the block. Have you replaced one of these module yourself? Should the 4 bolts that hold the module be loose in plate?

I just attached a picture for you to view. can you identify the plate you are talking about???

Roy

also, I have done tons of these in the past.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No i dont what to pay more for a phone call! What about the electric leads in the plate? They have to be hooked to something wires what? I cant get any pictures of the plate but will try and send of module.

I sent you a view to look at with all th parts

I need you to tell me what plate you are talking about. if it was the one under the coils, it can go many different ways. you just need to rotate it around until the bolts line up. you may have to turn it upside down as well to check for proper alignment.

do not remove the plate against the block. tell me about the plate as I asked

I did not send the request for phone call. that is done automatically from the site

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did you get the pictures?

no, did you open my picture????

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You still havent talked about the electric leads. So you said not to take the plate behind loose?

not until you identify the plate you are talking about. can you please give me an answer??????

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The plate that the 4 bolts come thru between the engine block side and module
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did you get the pictures this time?

yes, thanks

ok, so it is number 3 in the picture???

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No its not in U R diagram

ok, I have no idea what plate you are referring to

I will opt out and re post to see if anyone else can help you with this plate

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is in diagram number 1 base plate. Seems like bolts should be held tight in this plate but R not
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sounds like you mislead that you have tons of these!

no, not at all. I cannot get correct information from you about this. I have been around for over 45 years and know a lot more than you think.

good luck

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I what you to not charge my credit card on this matter until i get a satisfactory answer and help like i was promised. Please have someone contact me on this matter.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK i found the information on diagram but you cant understand what is really going on to line up module plate if the 4 bolts our loose they don't let you get the plate module to go back on. And you also would know how limited the area is that I'm working in.
Expert:  Master auto tech. replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Ok so I'm a new expert. The last one opted out.It's pretty clear what you are asking. Just bolt the plate back down. Don't worry about the leads that go to the sensor underneath. As long as you didn't damage them all will be ok thereThe 4 studs will be loose becouse they just sit in the holes and don't get tight till you tighten the coils on.
Now for the hard fitting and tight space. It is a pain. I'm sorry Gm did this. But compare the old module and new one and if it's the same it will go on. But you may have to do one bolt at a time while moving the module around and trying to get the bolts and holes to line up. Best way is start with bottom left bolt, feed into hole then move module and bolt till the bottom right lines up and do that all the way around. You can start with a top bolt too. Just work the way around. Eventually you get them all in.It is a pain but is possible.Let me know if this helpsThanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well at least i can tell you have worked on one of these. As you know laying on UR back under the car U R joints dont bend the right way. From the top i have pulled the vacum line to brake to get more room but intake manifold is right in the way? What side would U suggest? Mars
Honestly, there is no easy way with out removing extra components but I did it from the bottom. But I used a lift which allows you to position your body differently then when your laying on your back. :-/ if I was doing it on the ground I guess I would try from the top but I never did it that way. :-/
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny