FIXITMAN, Master Technician

I have a 2005 buick terrazzo cxl and it keeps shutting down

Customer Question

i have a 2005 buick terrazzo cxl and it keeps shutting down while driving down the road. the disabled starting light comes on when it happens and then a reduced engine power light comes on. if you turn the key off and then re start its fine for any where from 5 min to 3 or 4 days
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: its in drive while on the high way
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: it dose it some times while just sitting still as well in park but mostly while were actually driving down the road
JA: Is there anything else the Buick Mechanic should be aware of about your Buick?
Customer: yes
JA: What else should I tell the Buick Mechanic?
Customer: thats the only issue i know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to hear about your Buick. Most of the time this is caused by a failing ignition switch. This is a very common problem on this vehicle that causes this. It can also be the body control module or the fuse box, but those are not nearly as common as the switch. The switch fails internally and causes this. It can be hard to diagnose since it does not happen all of the time. I usually do a voltage drop test on it first and then replace it as the first step if the issue cannot be recreated. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey Bobby, is there a way to by pass the starting disabled system? Is it the anti theft system that's shutting the car down?
Also would the alternator possibly because an issue like this if it was not fully charging the battery and the battery was loosing charge and the theft system getting Wigged out?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

The alternator would not do this off and on, and if it did the battery would be dead. As for the anti theft system, there are bypass kits that you can get online, but there is no simple way of doing this.