rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My 1992 Buick Lasabre, at times cuts off, immediately after

Customer Question

My 1992 Buick Lasabre, at times cuts off, immediately after I hear a slight click, while diving. Then the car will not start until it has rested for at least thirty to forty-five minutes. This can be very frustrating. This cutting off of the car is much more often in the summer than the winter months. This leads me to believe that heat might have something to do with it. thanks
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The battery is new, and the engine tries to start, but will not turn over. then after the car rests for a while, the car will start strong as though there was never a problem.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have been tying to get an idea of what the problem is. Some have said that the problem is the starter, then some have said that the problem is the fuel pump.
JA: Is there anything else the Buick Mechanic should be aware of about your Buick?
Customer: the alternator is new, the black module in the center of the engine is new as I have been trying to
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The CRANK sensor or ignition module can cause this exactly the way you explained it too. Both can be tested with a scan tool and a lab scope.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Ron,This is the best advice I have heard in the years that I have been trying to solve this problem. I am now wondering what the costs would be to get these or this problem solved.Thanks so much,
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

The crank sensor is about 30.00 the labor about 50.00

The module about 150.00 the labor about 50.00 too.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.