C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.

We had the battery charged, and we got a new one, the

Customer Question

We had the battery charged, and we got a new one, the alternator is fine, but it keep dying.
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: no everything is fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2000 buick century custom
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and we got a new battery checked the fusses, and checked the alternator
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am here to help. If you have replaced the battery but it still is dying either you have a bad alternator but if you are sure it is good this leaves one thing which is a bad connection to the battery. You will need to clean both the negative and positive battery cables. If they are clean you also need to test for continuity on the battery cables. If there is a break in the wire that is under the protective coating it will be hard to see unless you test with a multi-meter. If the wires are good the alternator is at fault. It has a built in voltage regulator sometimes even will pass a test because they fail when they get hot so after a few minutes it will stop charging causing you with a dead battery.