Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Thanks . The ignition switch in my 2004 Buick rainier will

Customer Question

Hi, Thanks for asking. The ignition switch in my 2004 Buick rainier will not turn to the off position. I have to keep turning it on and off to get it to turn to the off position.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well I know its in the ignition switch because it gets stuck in the position right before you turn it off.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I would like to. The check engine light is on also. Does that have anything to do with it getting stuck ?
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: Well I dont have it on me but its in the p<s
JA: Huh?
Customer: Its p2053 something like that.
JA: Is there anything else the Buick Mechanic should be aware of about your Buick?
Customer: No thats it. I had to turn the vehicle off and on for 15 minutes before it turned off the engine this morning.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 6 months ago.

that's an ignition cylinder, I would recommend replacing it before it gets stuck because then it can become verydifficult to remove, if you buy a GM one it will come uncoded but they are simple to assemble and will come with instructions, that way you retain the same key as your doors. I will pull up the procedure for you here shortly

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Cautions and Notices.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  2. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.
  3. Lower the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.
  4. Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement.
  5. Use the key in order to turn the ignition lock cylinder to the START position.

6. Install an allen wrench into the hole on the top of the lock cylinder housing.

Push down on the allen wrench in order to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.

7. Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.

Installation Procedure

Important: The gears between the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing must be in the correct position. Failure to do so will cause a misalignment of the gears in the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing, which may result in a NO START or BATTERY DRAIN.

1. Use a screwdriver in order to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear clockwise to the START position.
  2. Remove the screwdriver and allow the lock cylinder housing gear to spring return to the RUN position.

3. Install the key to the lock cylinder.
  4. Align and install the lock cylinder to the lock cylinder housing.
  5. Install the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement.
  6. Install the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.
  7. Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.

Basically look under the steering column it will either have two bolts going up or none, if they are present remove them, the plastic cover then pops into two peices, use a plastic tool and gently work around till it all releases, then disconnect the battery and turn the ignition forward then push the release and pull outward.

1. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.