Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

If my fuel pump is bad should I not hear a whirring noise or

Customer Question

If my fuel pump is bad should I not hear a whirring noise or should it just be a click?
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The engine turns over but will not start. I replaced the fuel pump relay because it had a burnt spot on it and one of the leads had a gel like substance coming out of it. It still will not start.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can narrow down my possible causes, I plan to make the repair myself.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: That is my only problem right now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

the pump should run for @ 2 seconds when you turn the key ON then run when cranking it over

what year and model and engine size is this Buick ?

will it somewhat run on starting fluid or carb cleaner being sprayed down the throttle body ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is a 2008 Buick Lucerne with a 3800 V6 3.8L engine. I have not tried the starter fluid but I will.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

see if it will somewhat run on the spray if it does then we know we have a fuel issue

if it doesn't at all check for spark when cranking it over

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
how are you making out ?you can always get me back through this post for free with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswerif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer