Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

The car starts when I turn the key to the run position also

Customer Question

The car starts when I turn the key to the run position also I noticed that my instramant panel is not working any more either
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: the car is in park and yes it has a lock feature it is a 2002 buick century
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I had to replace the battery and after I was done this started I put the key to the run position to set the clock and radio and the car started
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I slowly turned the key to unlock the wheel put it in drive and then tried to start it and it wouldn't then put it back into park and it still wouldn't start so I shout it off for 5 min turned the key to run and it started
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: it hasn't given me any problems untill now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description there are 2 possibilities. The ignition switch can fail internally and signal the start circuit with the key in the run position. The is also a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) concerning deformed or collapsed terminals in the Underhood Bussed Electrical Center (UBEC), (fuse box) with the same symptoms. I have the TSB, if you would like a copy let me know. From you description on the instrument panel, I'd lean more towards an ignition switch, but this could really go either way.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, I'm following up on any progress with this repair. I hope the information I gave was helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Thanks.