Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Gh pearl, my 96 P.A. ultra, supercharged, sometimes "ccups"

Customer Question

High pearl, my 96 P.A. ultra, supercharged, sometimes "hiccups" under light throttle. Almost like a plug miss firing, but if I push the throttle down harder and force it to downshift, it smoothes out and runs fine.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I will be fixing it myself.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I put new plugs and wires in it after also changing air filter and engine oil & filter. I don't have a code reader yet, but I do sometimes get a check engine light flashing when it "hiccups".
JA: Spark plug problems can be challenging. So many causes, some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all of them. Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: It has about 160k miles on it and as far as I know, everything is original. I bought it from an estate sale, so I'm pretty sure it sat for a while. It ran fine for first two months and about 5k miles, then this "hiccup" started occurring.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the Ignition Control Module (ICM) is to blame for the miss since the plugs and wires have been replaced. I would be very interested in knowing what code(s) are set before throwing an ICM at a problem and hoping for a fix. Anytime the check engine light comes on Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)'s are stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). See if any parts stores in your area will check the vehicle for codes, if so let me know the specific P codes stored before throwing an ICM at and hoping.

Let me know.
Thanks.

Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, I'm following up on any progress with this repair. I hope the information I gave was helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.