Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

Only in the morning the first time i try and start the car

Customer Question

only in the morning the first time i try and start the car it takes 2-3 attempts to start. During the rest of the day the car starts every time first attempt
I have the battery checked and alternate at local parts store both are good.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if i can yes
JA: Is there anything else the Buick Mechanic should be aware of about your Buick?
Customer: we check engine codes and got p0171, p1178 and P1811, but dont know if that is new or old codes still in the computer log.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 6 months ago.

Hello the first thing that comes to mind is a problem with the fuel delivery system, there is a check valve in the pump that is designed to keep pressure close to operating spec even when vehicle has turned off they fail and when they do the vehicle has to spin extra long. To check it do you have a fuel pressure gauge

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe i can rent a fuel pressure gauge from auto part store. I will need to find the port to check the pressure

its easy to find and yes you can rent a fuel pressure gauge the port is on the fuel rail up on the engine right under the cover. hook up your gauge at night and next morning go out and see if you still have pressure if not try to start and see how quickly it builds, does yours have a fuel filter

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it should should right. I thought fuel filters were stander and there has been no mods done to the car. The p0171 code I believe is an oxygen sensor code indicating lean condition on bank 1.

Hold on if you have a 171 no that is not for 02 sensor that code says that the engine is running lean, do you have a way to read data? I want to know the short and long term fuel trims, im starting to think you need a fuel pump

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have p0171, P1189, p1811 2 of them i think are oxygen sensors? and the other oil pressure in the trans?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i cant read data right now i am at work just trying to figure out what i should do to diagnose. pretty sure i can rent any tool from oreily auto or auto zone

rent the fuel pressure gauge i got money on you having a bad fuel pump

Hello are you still working on this>