Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Buick Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Buick Diagnostics
18617752

P0496 code Enclave. What does it mean

Customer Question

P0496 code for Buick Enclave. What does it mean
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.
The P0496 is a problem in the EVAP Purge System. This can either be a problem with the EVAP Purge Valve or the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. There is a quick test that can determine which has the fault, but this will require the use of a scan-tool that can read EVAP System items data in real time. If you do not have access to such a scan-tool, carefully inspect the vacuum lines to/from the Purge Solenoid for any cracks, holes or disconnections. Inspect the electrical connectors and wire harnesses to both items for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, then the testing should be done. The Purge Solenoid is fairly cheap and easy to replace, so if you wanted to try replacing it first, it wouldn't be too much. The Purge Solenoid is located on the top, driver's side of the engine in front of the throttle body. The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is located at the top of the fuel tank, mounted to the top of the fuel pump assembly. If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.