rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1991 Buick Skylark that idles very fast. I set the

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Buick Skylark that idles very fast. I set the Idle stop all the way back so that it is not stopping the throttle from going back but still runs to fast. any ideas on how to lower the idle speed? It also has a trouble light lite that comes on frequently. This car does not have a sensor troubleshooting port. How can I find out which sensor is going bad?
Category: Buick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.There has to be a port under the dash somewhere to attach a scan tool.BUT, try doing a relearn of the idle motor first, and if that doesn't work, take it off and clean the ports. If that still doesn't work,replace the idle motor.Thanks, Ron