Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified

There, I'm trying to replace the brake booster in a 1999

Customer Question

Hi there, I'm trying to replace the brake booster in a 1999 buick century
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I'm having issues with the "remove the brake booster from the vehicle step"
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have the brake booster loose and ready to be removed. I have the engine tilted forward some but still don't have the clearance to remove the brake booster. Are there things i need to disconnect to have the brake booster tilt forward more?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, You have to front engine mount and roll the engine forward, if you get the mount out of the way the engine will come forward just enough to get the clearance you will need to remove the booster. See the factory steps in the link below.Copy and paste the links to your browser to open and view them
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have already followed the procedure in doc 371890 and removed the engine mounts and air inlet. I have a ratcheting strap connected to the right engine mount eyelet and the underside of the frame. The engine has tilted forward but still have about 3 inches of clearance between the engine and radiator. I have a lot of resistance toward further tilting. Is there anything I need to disconnect / move to facilitate the tilting? I need about 3 more inches of clearance to get the brake booster out.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
All you should have to disconnect is the front mount and you should be able to tilt the engine enough to get the clearance you need. Are you able to move the engine any further?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a lot of resistance to movement. How far can the engine be tilted safely? I still have a large gap between it and the radiator, but don't want to continue tilting if there's a chance it would damage something else in the process. How much resistance should there be when tilting the engine. Use the ratcheting strap, the first couple of inches were pretty easy to do, but now I would have to put my entire body weight into getting it to ratchet further.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
You should be able to move it pretty close to the radiator, the resistance is usually the weight of the engine. As long as the engine is still moving you should be okay.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please see the attached picture for spacing between the engine and the radiator. The engine does not want to move any further. I returned the engine to its original position and in re-rotating, it would only go to this same position. Should the engine be able to go further? I've seen a note about using a pry bar on the passenger side mount to get the engine to turn. Will this get the engine to turn further? How should the pry bar be use in the fashion (I don't see a fulcrum).
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
I have no further information on this . I will open the post back up for you and perhaps another will be of more assistance. If they can help you they will respond back.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.
use a floor jack under the back of the engine to jack it up and tilt the engine forward.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.
Also, this vehicle uses a twist-lock (sometimes called a cam-lock) type of mounting system. A special tool is used that bolts to the master cylinder mounting studs and a large wrench is used to twist the booster to disengage/engage the locking tabs. Use care if using substitute tools.