Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician

I have 2004 Buick Rendezvous. The ignition key got stuck in

Customer Question

I have 2004 Buick Rendezvous. The ignition key got stuck in the ignition lock and could only move slightly but could not get it to go forward or reverse in the lock, so I could not start the car. I tried the wd40 trick but nothing. I called a locksmith and he got the the key removed but I had another key and it would not go in the ignition so he replaced the ignition lock. Ok great I can now start and use the car. But, I notice now that the chime does not work if you open the door with key still in the ignition and also you can lock the car with door switch with the key still in the ignition.
I checked all the ignition related fuses and they are good.
Is there any wiring from the ignition lock in to the system somewhere to check? fuse link in the harness somwhere?
The locksmith does not have any answers.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI, Ok, did he replace just the ignition cylinder or did he replace the electrical part of the ignition switch as well
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just the lock assembly. He had to drill it out.
Before he did that with the key stuck you still had the chime with the door open.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI,Ok, the chime is controlled by the electrical ignition switch. It is possible that it was damaged when the cylinder was replaced or that the cylinder is not making good contact with the switch
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the attached jpg the ignition switch? or is it on the other side of steering wheel?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI,the ignition switch is behind that black piece which is the immobilizer control unit. See attached
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok. thanks for that. The black piece does not want to slide off to remove. Can you just force it off or is there a trick to get it off?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI,It is designed to just pull off. You can use a thin, small screwdriver to slip behind it and GENTLY pry it until you can pull it off by hand
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I finally figured you had to take the lock out to get the pass key module to slide off.
Now that it is off and I have the new ignition module how do I know when the notch on the ignition module is in the correct position? I see you can rotate it.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,With the lock barrel out, you should be able to rotate the switch with a small screwdriver to the accessory position, where the radio would be on.Refit the immobiliser first.The lock assembly with the key fitted should rotate to the same accessory position in your hand, then slide the lock assembly into the housing where the lock drive should align with the switch. At this point a spring loaded detent lock retainer on the side of the barrel, can be depressed by hand.The lock assembly should go fully home, and then the key should be able to function all the way from off to crank.The key should then rotate to the off position, and then be able to be removed.If this is a new key, it will need to be programmed to the immobiliser.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,How did you go with your problem?I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience..Kind regards Gary