Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

The pass key light came on when I put spare key in and now

Customer Question

The pass key light came on when I put spare key in and now car won't start
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Pass key light on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I tried to start car with spare key and that's when light came on
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing other than trying to restart car with original key
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The problem you are having may be able to be resolved by performing the pass lock relearn procedure which I can provide you with. In order to send you the correct steps I need to know what your working on, year make and model please. Post back when you can with this information and I will send you the steps to get this resolved.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
94 Buick Roadmaster
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
If the security light is on, then check the wiring running up the column to the back of the tumbler for being broken which is common on the Roadmaster. This can be done with an ohmmeter hooked across the two little White wires at the connector at the base of the column. Stick the key in and see if it is getting a resistance value and then rotating the tumbler make sure that the resistance does not drop out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do I do after that
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Check the step I mentioned and post back with the results.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The wiring is fine
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Okay what where the ohm reading?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't remember. Is there a way I can just reset ? I used the spare key to start car and it started then shut off and I thought it was out of gas so after putting gas in it still did not start up. That's when I noticed pass key light came on when I tried to start again. I googled what that was so I thought if I went back and tried to start with original key it would start but from what I am reading it just has to reset back to that original key
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Didn't have this problem until I used spare key
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
It has to be able to read the key to reset, the most common cause for this type of problem is a failed pellet in the key. See the service bulletin in the link below to test the complete system. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Teft%20test%20May%2010.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The original key pellet works fine, it just shut off because it couldn't read spare key. I just need to know how to reset system back so it can read original key. The spare key has never been used since car was purchased in 93' and I used it yesterday for the first time and this is when all my problems started.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
There is no relearn on the 1994, if it is able to read the key it should allow you to start the car. I have no other information on this with out the testing. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else can provide you with different information.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay..I read that if I put key in and turn to run position for 10 min then turn off for 10 sec it should reset to original pellet so I will just try that