Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified
20625509

My 2002 buick rendezvous with 2400 engine, randomly (like most

Customer Question

My 2002 buick rendezvous with 2400 engine, randomly (like most it seems) overheats. I have tried all the things I have read about (except replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets and/or the thermostat) Before I spend a grand to have the gaskets & thermostat replaced is there any to know if this will solve the problem?
JA: Replacing a gasket can be pricey, so the more you know the better it will be for you and your wallet. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you to knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself but I think it is too complicated (hard to get to) for me.
JA: Is there anything else the Buick Mechanic should be aware of about your Buick?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
If it is randomly overheating it sounds to me as though the thermostat is sticking closed sometimes. Try a new $5 thermostat.There is no 2400 engine, I think you meant to say 3400.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Here are the instructions to replace it and autozone has one for $5.99.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
It's like a 3 hour job if you want to pay a shop.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did mean 3400 engine.... Are you aware where the thermostat is located and what has to be removed to get to it? Best quote I have found is $280.00. From what I read, this is a common problem with this model. Seems like most people have to replace the lower in-take manifold gaskets.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Or replace the engine.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
That's my advice on a randomly overheating engine, is to replace the thermostat and yes I am aware of where it is at, I looked at the instructions I gave you and yes $280 is fair since it is about a 3 hour job.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me look at the instructions you sent for replacing the thermostat and I will maybe try it myself. I shouldn't take me more than 12 to 18 hours and a couple of six packs to DIY. Thank you... I will get back to you if that doesn't fix my problem.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
If you are the least bit mechanically inclined I would do the job yourself and use the $280 for any tools you may need or a repair manual, etc or ask around if anyone knows an out of work mechanic who will do it or even an auto-mechanics school nearby or even the local high school if they have a shop cause when I was in school we worked on customers cars and only charged them a small fee for insurance and the price of the parts of course.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** give it a go. I am only 77 and I think I have the tool that I will need. I will use the savings to pay the Dr. for repairing the damage to my knuckles.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
;-)
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
At least it's not freezing outside, that really hurts when you bust a knuckle when it's freezing outside.Don't forget to rate me well and good luck.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Did you ever get that thermostat changed?