Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Buick Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Buick Diagnostics
18617752

Buick Randivous: The fuel gage on my 2004 Buick RSV has gone

Customer Question

The fuel gage on my 2004 Buick RSV has gone wild with erratic readings. It doesn/t read correctly, sometimes over-full or past empty and varys all the time.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, this is a fairly common GM vehicle problem. The problem here is going to be the Fuel Level Sensor. GM states the original sensors were prone to premature failure due to the chemicals in the fuel eroding the contacts of the sensor. It's located inside the fuel tank mounted to the side of the fuel pump assembly. Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness to top of the fuel tank for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, then the level sensor will need to be replaced. If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
..