Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Buick Mechanic
Experience:  GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.

Buick Century Limited: 2000 Century Limited power windows stopped

Customer Question

2000 Century Limited power windows stopped working. Everything was working and then none worked. Fuses checked good. Troubleshooting found no 12VDC at 30A window fuse socket in right side dashboard fuse box. No wiring diagram to determine source.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Power to the power window circuit come from the circuit breaker and powers the yellow wire to the master switch. See the wiring diagram for the window circuit in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The link for the wiring diagram gives me an 'Error (404) if I click on it or copy/paste to my browser.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

I have resent it, please be sure to print it out as it will time out over time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, the link you provided worked. I can now see the wiring diagram. There was a difference in the URL between the two links. Here are the two links with the incorrect one first: window May 8.pdf Window Buick May 14.pdfNow I have to say that the wiring diagram does not solve my problem. I need to know where the power source is for the Power Windows circuit breaker.Please ask the expert to resend his answer with the correct URL and I will respond so we have the correct thread info.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Im not sure what it is your needing , the power to the circuit breaker come from the power supply to the fuse box which comes from the battery.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ron, For reasons unknown all of the items in your email come to me as HTML code instead of what you intended for me to see. Also, in your answer email, the link to the wiring diagram was incorrect which sent me to an Error (404) page. Customer Service was able to provide me with the correct link and I copied the wiring diagram. This does not answer my question. As I provided in my original question, I have checked the 30A fuse/circuit breaker with an ohmmeter and it checks good. I have checked the fuse connector contacts and there is no 12VDC present. I need to know where the 12VDC originates from and the route it takes to get to the fuse box. All the diagram infers is 'HOT IN ACC, RUN OR DURING RAP'. Therefore I should see the 12VDC with the key in the ACC or RUN position but I don't.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Okay , have a look at this diagram, power to the breaker comes from either the accessory delay relay if equip or the ignition switch,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK Ron, Let's try this again. First of all, I cannot decipher the HTML gibberish that comprises a lot of your reply (see below):Secondly, I need to know where the 12VDC comes from for the Power Windows CB. I have measured the voltage and it is only two Volts DC (2VDC) not 12VDC as I would expect (the other 2 30A CBs have 14VDC with engine running). The wiring diagram for my Chevrolet shows the entire harness so I know where the source is but not the Buick. All the Buick diagram says is 'Hot in ACC, RUN, or during RAP' whatever that is. No indication where it comes from.Ray
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

Are you still struggling with this Power Window issue? If so, please let me know. I believe I can help you get those windows working again.

Please note that I'm online only on weekdays from 2 to 8PM Eastern Standard Time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 5 months ago.

sorry for the delay............
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (akaCustomer and I look forward to helping you!”

There should be a Circuit Breaker located in the Right (passenger side) Fuse Panel
Remove the Circuit Breaker for 1 minute
Test Voltage + on "both sides" of the Circuit Breaker with Key ON
Let me know what you find

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Both sides of the CB have ≈1.8V key on or key off.

Be sure the Meter you are using is testing Voltage "DC"
IF so, then you need to test the RAP (retained accessory power) Relay

Behind the Instrument Panel compartment, attached to the underside of the cross-car beam
you can temporarily connect a 20 amp Fused Jumper wire to one side of the Circuit Breaker to see if that is the cause

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ah ha, the sneaky RAP relay that doesn't show up on the wiring diagram. Is it on the driver side or the passenger side? Would you have a picture of it?

Right hand dash (passenger)
Click attachment below

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 4 months ago.

did you need more info?
please respond or rate my answer

thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Finally got some time to take a look for the RAP relay but there is a decorative cover hiding the under-dash area. How does it come off? I tried pulling at it but don't want to tear it.

This is not a easy job, as a number of dash components have to come off to get to the Relays
Click Attachment below

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you telling me that I have to remove the entire instrument panel just to get to the RAP Relay? All I really want to do is remove the decorative cover under the glove box.

sorry.......I am answering your question & did not design the car........

those are factory service manual procedures

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well we all know they will do everything they can to soak the customer. Perhaps scissors will do the trick. Will let you know how it goes.