Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

I have an 04 Rendezvous and am trying to remove the rear

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 04 Rendezvous and am trying to remove the rear propeller shaft that connects the transaxle to the rear diff. The service manual for my 04 Aztek (same car mechanically as you probably are aware) says that I just remove the 6 bolts on each end of the shaft along with the torque balancing crecent-shaped washers, push the shaft towards the rear of the car and it will come right out.
I've done this and it won't budge. There is very little play trying to push the shaft towards the rear of the car. I've hammered on it some with a 3lb sledge and wood block along with some WD-40 on the joints at either end, but it's not moving. Anything I'm missing here?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: See above (was that an
automated response?)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, so the 'live chat' here seems to be misleading...
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 5 months ago.
No you are doing the right thing, they do get stuck but should collapse enough to get out. I have had to really get after a few of them though, if it will not collapse whatever you do then you can always loosen the rear diff mounts but they do fit out some of them just stick.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would have cancelled the question earlier, once I realized it wasn't a live chat as it appeared to be, but there wasn't an option.Thanks for responding, but unfortunately the answer wasn't really helpful to me as I could see from my workshop manual how the joints connect and that they -should- just pop apart in a perfect world. Advice on a special puller tool to use, or even 'hit it with PB blaster and wait overnight' might have helped, but simple encouragement to keep at it wasn't what I was looking for I guess. I'm going to work on something else while I wait for the PB to do its work. :-/No need to respond to this message. I have other things to work on with this car and know it will come out eventually when the rust breaks loose at both ends.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
For anyone else wondering about how things go together see below.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
By the way, Ryan. The rating I gave isn't personally directed at you, but rather at due to the misleading pop-up chat windows that purport to be 'live', but are in actuality just automated robo-chats that direct the askers questions to experts via e-mail. In my opinion it's a bait and switch. :(