Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Buick Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Buick Diagnostics

I have to replace the alternator on a 2004 buick randezvous.

Customer Question

i have to replace the alternator on a 2004 buick randezvous. i've removed the fuse block and see that i have to remove OR move the wiper motor in order to get to the back bolts on the alternator. Can you help me in giving the proper process?
JA: Fortunately, the mechanics here speak car like it's their native tongue. They're great at sussing out engine issues, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for the job. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i've got the fuse box out of the way, but now have to deal with the wiper motor removal for clearance to the back alternator bolts
JA: Is there anything else the Buick Mechanic should be aware of about your Buick?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.
The more preferred (and easier) method here is to rotate the engine forward. This engine setup was design to "rotate for service access". This will require the use of an engine strap. You can usually rent this from most local big-chain parts stores. Remove the bolt for the engine strut mount and swing it aside, then install the engine strap and rotate the engine. You should now have the clearance you need. I've wrapped up a small PDF file to show how this is done. Download the PDF file here: my answer has helped you, please help me and rate or accept my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.