Chris (aka- Moose), Buick Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Turn key to start lights in dash flicker car starts then turns

Customer Question

turn key to start lights in dash flicker car starts then turns right off
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: fuel pressure is good replaced battery
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses battery cables
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: car does not get driven much
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Can i get the year, make model and engine?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
its a1995 buick lasebre 3.8 v6
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Once the instrument cluster lights flicker, do they ever go solid and remain on like the cluster is powering up correct?Can you do electrical testing? We need to see if the cluster is getting good power and ground first off to address this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes I can do electrical testing. yes they go solid for about a second then they go out . but I can here the fuel pump relay cycling every time they flicker. some times car starts stays running but when lights flicker car wants to shut off.Also the alternator gauge drops down to almost zero volts . but if I give it some gas to around 2800rpms it will go back to 13 volts an car stays running this condition stay steady the whole time car is running.
Using the diagram below can you check and see if the cluster is getting all the powers and grounds when the cluster is not appearing to be powered up.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/buickcluster.pdf -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Got pdf what circuits should I test first?
The wires from the fuses are orange, pink, pink. The grounds are black and black/white