Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE since 1980
3506196

Got p0446 change gas cap and canister purge silonoid its a

Customer Question

Got p0446 change gas cap and canister purge silonoid its a 2003 century 3
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Thats all i got change gas cap and purge silonoid car runs fine just keep getting p0446
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed gas cap and purge silonoid
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Buick Mechanic should know about your Buick?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 7 months ago.
god morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist the code indicates a problem with the vent solenoid at the back of the car at the tank. it is stuck open and the evap system cannot test itself. it needs to close to seal the system. it is easy to change and you can get it at any parts store. it has an electrical connector and hoses. it is by the tank and after you purchase the vent solenoid, you will be able to identify it. Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Change the vent solenoid still getting p0446
did you clear the code??? if you did, how far did you drive it until the light returned??? Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cleared the dtc and drove it for 200 miles same code p0446
ok, do you have a scan tool and a voltmeter to do some checks??? Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes i have a scan tool no i dont have a volt meter
ok, if you go to functional tests, see if you can do an bay test for the evap system roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Under component test it list evap leak test when i choose this command it tells me command sent but then never does anything
ok, what kind of scan tool are you using??does it list bay test???
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its a centech 62120 no bay list but it has a enhanced evap system when i select this it gives me a list of id:01 id:42 and so on
let me look it up Roy
ok, got it. this is not an actual scan tool. it is a code reader with enhanced information but cannot do certain commands. check something for me. the purge valve, you replaced this. it is in the front of the car on the engine?? remove the electrical connector, remove the hose that goes to the back of the car. start the car and see if you feel any vacuum at the open line on the purge valve you disconnected.