Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech

I have a 95 Riviera supercharged and during w.o.t from a stop

Customer Question

I have a 95 Riviera supercharged and during w.o.t from a stop with the traction control off it ran good for a few seconds then it just died and would not start again until I turned the ignition off and then on again??
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Buick. The Buick Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have been researching online for some more info but there is no SES light so I am kind of at a loss.
JA: Is there anything else the Buick Mechanic should be aware of about your Buick?
Customer: it has 89000 miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
By the way the engine is the Series 1 L67 3800, and it has always ran great for me with no other issues.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.Even though the check engine light is not coming on you are still going to need to start with scanning the system and see if there are any fault codes setting. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will l see if I can help you determine the cause.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My scanner does not communicate with the cars computer but it does fit the connector. I believe the OBD system is an earlier version than 2. So what type of a scanner will work on this system? Or do I have to ground some leads on the connector and count SES flashes?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also the stalling is getting worse now it happens with anything more than half throttle... I called a Buick dealer and they said possibly a weak Fuel Pump.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Depending on your build date your system may be an OBD I system and if that is the case you can use a jumper at the data link connector to retrieve the code and or codes by watching the checking light and counting the flashes. See the steps to do this in the links below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well I did the test today and I got the code 12 thats it.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
The code 12 indicates the system passed and is a pass code.Have you checked the fuel pressure when the engine stalls?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I have not what would be a normal fuel pressure reading?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Normal pressure with the engine running needs to be right at 30 to 44 PSI. Check this when it dies on you and see it it with in specs.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did the fuel pressure test today and it was at like 32-33psi. at idle, and when I unplugged the fuel pressure regulator it went up to 40psi.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
That is good fuel pressure and it should go up when the vacuum is removed from the regulator.So you back to checking for a loss of spark and or injector pulse when the engine stalls and will not start.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just put new plugs/wires in it and then I cleaned the MAF sensor and now it runs normally. It also seems to shift faster into OD now than it did before. I will stay alert but for now it runs great. Thank You!
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Your very welcome and glad to hear you got it resolved and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.Thank you again.